Jaylia3

Reflections

Meanwhile back at the ley line . . .

Blue Lily, Lily Blue - Maggie Stiefvater

With a mesmerizing writing style and characters I wish I knew, this third book in The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater enchanted me just as much as the first two. I thought Blue Lily, Lily Blue was the last book of a trilogy until I got to its final pages and it became clear there is still more story to come, a very happy discovery.

I have a special fondness for non-magical characters in magical stories so I was thrilled to find that a lot of this book revolves around Blue, a relatively normal teenager in an all-female family of eccentric psychic women. Blue lives in small town Virginia and almost against her will has become close friends with a disparate coterie of four boys (one wealthy, one poor, one plagued  by living nightmares, and one dead) from the ritzy private school she’s spent most of her life distaining. Their quest to find and wake an ancient Welsh king continues, but other things keep getting in the way. Gansey’s hosting a fusty British ley line expert, Adam’s got his violent father to deal with, Ronan’s trying to protect his younger brother, Noah’s having a hard time staying corporal, and Blue’s mother is off on some kind of  adventure of her own, maybe to locate the father Blue’s never seen, leaving Blue to wonder if it’s time to start worrying about her.

Stiefvater manages to make me believe that all her wonderful characters with strange abilities (like manifesting objects out of dreams or communicating with forces of primeval magic) are flesh and blood real--even Noah who’s dead and wavers in and out of existence feels authentic. It’s an immersive, bewitching story and I’m very glad it’s not over.

13449693 17347389 17378508

Source: http://jaylia3.booklikes.com/post/1034401/meanwhile-back-at-the-ley-line