Jaylia3

Reflections

Popular progressive fiction from the early years of the 1900’s

Emma McChesney and Co. - Edna Ferber

Edna Ferber’s third and final book about savvy career woman Emma McChesney entertained me at least as much as the previous two, beginning with a flurry of excitement in the first chapter. After spending the last 15 years traveling between small Midwest towns or living in New York City, Emma sets off on a boat trip down the coast of the continent to sell her T. A. Buck Featherloom petticoats and skirts in Argentina, where she takes the country by storm. Based on the last two books I knew romance was headed Emma’s way, but she’d been so determinedly independent I wasn’t sure I would like it--I did.

Along with being good stories these books charmed and fascinated me by presenting a lively picture of how people lived, thought, worked, played, dressed, traveled, raised their children, and fell in love 100 years ago during the early decades of the 1900’s. In one chapter Emma was forced to deal with wealthy lady organizers bent promoting their pet cause, which wasn’t “Votes for women” as I had guessed, but instead a self-righteous insistence based on their rigid uneven morality that working class “girls” must be convinced to dress with drab unassuming modesty as befits their station. I would have been disappointed if Emma turned out to be an anti-suffragette, but Emma was right to poke a little good natured fun at these women.

Ferber wrote all three Emma McChesney novels long enough ago that they’re in the public domain so ebook versions can be downloaded from sites like Project Gutenberg. I listened to superbly narrated audio versions available on the Libravox website that made me almost enjoy my commute--I had witty Emma and her adventures to keep me occupied.

Source: http://jaylia3.booklikes.com/post/1045037/popular-progressive-fiction-from-the-early-years-of-the-1900-s