Jaylia3

Reflections

Richest magic-tinged reading since Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell

The Golem and the Jinni - Helene Wecker

The Golem and the Jinni more than lives up to the promise of its irresistible premise--two mythical beings with very different natures meet and form an uneasy bound in 1899 New York City. The Golem, a woman made of clay, was created by a former rabbi who dabbles in forbidden arts; the Jinni, a man made of fire, has been trapped inside a copper flask for a thousand years, but can't remember how he got there. United by a restlessness resulting from having to mask their true identities and make lives in a place that's foreign to both of them, the Golem and the Jinni spend the long nighttime hours roaming the immigrant neighborhoods of their adopted home together, but a menace from the past is stalking them.

The many strands of this story are slowly but mesmerizingly woven together, with some plot line connections not revealed until almost the end of the book. I haven't enjoyed a total immersion in such a rich and magic-tinged world since Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.