Jaylia3

Reflections

Escape from North Korea

A Thousand Miles to Freedom: My Escape from North Korea - Eunsun Kim, S├ębastien Falletti, David Tian

This memoir has a personal, almost conversational tone, but what a moving, heartbreaking, inspiring, fascinating story she has to tell. Eunsun Kim spent her early years happily enough in North Korea, and that was interesting in itself to read about, but then famine drove her family across the border into China and set them on a decade long journey--even taking them into Mongolia--before she, her sister, and her mother were able to finally settle in South Korea.

A Thousand Miles to Freedom paints a vivid picture of living on the edge in North Korea and then China. It's an intimate story about a part of the world that's hard to get information about, and that alone would draw me to the book. I read it in one sitting because it's not long and is incredibly gripping.

Source: http://jaylia3.booklikes.com/post/1156128/escape-from-north-korea