Jaylia3

Reflections

A tale of two sisters

Sisterland - Curtis Sittenfeld

Though Sisterland is about two adult twin sisters, identical yet very different, who believe they have psychic powers and maybe do, it’s not paranormal novel and, far from being set in some alternate world,  it depicts day to day struggles with family and relationships.  Within the first few pages of the book Vi, the boisterous twin who embraces her psychic powers, has announced on national TV that an powerful earthquake is imminent for the St. Louis area where they live. Her restrained sister Kate, the narrator of the novel, is horrified and embarrassed--her husband is a scientist and she’s spent years trying to put her psychic past behind her--but she doesn’t disbelieve the pronouncement and begins making plans to protect her family.

For Kate, being a mother is the ultimate in respectability and normality, qualities she’s almost desperate to embody and project, but her love for her children is powerful and now, with the threat of danger, motherhood is bringing out  primeval emotions that unbalance her carefully constructed  life. The author’s skillful use of details enhances the story by making the characters and their situations feel real.  I can’t remember  reading anything else that so vividly brought back to me my experiences as  the mother of two very young children.

The sister dynamic reminded me in some ways of  the one in Karen Joy Fowler’s We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves, and it would be interesting to discuss them together. I found Sisterhood completely absorbing and I really wasn’t sure which way it was going to go--the suspense kept me reading until way past my bedtime.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/670827407