Jaylia3

Reflections

From cult member to organic gardening entrepreneur--a heartfelt memoir of holding onto youthful ideals

From the Ground Up: A Food Grower's Education in Life, Love, and the Movement That's Changing the Nation - Jeanne Nolan, Alice Waters

Part memoir of reclaiming life after living  in a cult-like commune, part organic gardening primer, part locavore/slow food treatise, I loved and was deeply moved by every aspect of From the Ground Up. Jeanne Nolan fled her suburban Chicago home for Zendik Farm as a teenager, hoping for a life filled with meaning and connection to the Earth. When she returned to “mainstream society” with her young daughter seventeen years later she was broke, unemployed, disillusioned, and  disoriented.  All she knew was organic gardening, a skill she was afraid had no place in the world she grew up in, so when her mother suggested she grow vegetables in their backyard Nolan jumped at the chance. Tending that garden  allowed Nolan  to begin healing,  and step by step it  led to her creating a business helping families plan and plant their own organic gardens. Engagingly written, From the Ground Up is an affecting, heartfelt personal story, and an inspiring, non-preachy account of the joys and benefits of growing organic food.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/681450507