Jaylia3

Reflections

Life behind bars--the book the Netflix series is based on

Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison - Piper Kerman

I raced through this book in one day, partly because I was mesmerized, especially in the first half of the book where Piper Kerman writes about her crimes and the terrifying experience of getting locked up, and partly because some of the middle sections had more detail than I was interested in so I was skimming. Those sections are still worth reading, there's a lot about the relationships she developed with other inmates, and the eye-opening, riveting parts of the book more than make up for what's less interesting. It's a gripping, cautionary tale. The choices she made in her early to mid-20's that led to prison are not so different, in kind if not degree, from the sorts of dumb mistakes a lot of us make when we're young. Her account of life in prison, which is both worse and better than I pictured, is a civic education. Reading the book gave me a visceral sense of what losing my freedom would feel like, a fascinating exercise that I hope to only live vicariously.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/690394983