Jaylia3

Reflections

Jane Austen lite with magic and charm

Shades of Milk and Honey  - Mary Robinette Kowal

Picture Jane Austen lite with the addition of magic called glamour because it’s an art whose purpose is to create beautiful illusions and you’ll have a good idea of what this lovely, airy novel is like. Set in an alternative Regency England it borrows Austen’s charming cads, lovesick girls, silly marriage obsessed mothers, stern but honorable suitors, and devoted sisters with opposite temperaments, but it has none of Austen’s sharp wit or social commentary. Instead it’s simply charming and engaging, so it’s perfect for when you want to be enchanted but not challenged. I enjoyed it enough that I’m eager to read its sequel, which takes two of the characters to mainland Europe for their honeymoon just as Napoleon escapes from Elba and the continent is thrown into turmoil.

Source: http://jaylia3.booklikes.com/post/676426/jane-austen-lite-with-magic-and-charm