Jaylia3

Reflections

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (Blade Runner)

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick, Robert Zelazny

Just as in Blade Runner, the movie this book inspired, the line between human and machine becomes increasingly fuzzy for bounty hunter Rick Deckard, who has the job of hunting down and “retiring” rogue androids. After a nuclear war all but destroyed life on Earth, the humans who didn’t flee to off-planet colonies live in a deteriorating world infused with radioactive dust.

It’s a hostile but fascinating world with competing religions, dial-up mood machines, 24 hours talk shows and kipple--useless rubbish that increases on its own and will eventually drive out all non-kipple. Empathy, thought to distinguish human from android, is prized and animals are so scarce they’ve become highly valued possessions. People who can’t afford increasingly expensive live animals as pets use mechanical substitutes instead.

The book lacks the special effects of the movie, of course, but it goes deeper into the minds of the characters and the questions of existence raised by the plot.