Jaylia3

Reflections

Birdology: Adventures with a Pack of Hens, a Peck of Pigeons, Cantankerous Crows, Fierce Falcons, Hip Hop Parrots, Baby Hummingbirds, and One Murderously Big Living Dinosaur - Sy Montgomery I loved reading this book, which is a well balanced blend of science and up close personal adventures with birds. Years of experience with birds went into the writing. Besides raising her own brood of personality filled chickens, Sy pursued the giant, dinosaur-like cassowary in an Australian jungle, helped rescue a baby hummingbird the size and weight of an air bubble, partnered with a hawk trained to hunt with humans, kept vigil as homing pigeons raced back to their loft, danced with Snowball the YouTube sensation cockatiel, witnessed thousands of crows roost together in one very overwhelmed small town, and talked with loquacious parrots and the language researcher who trained them and worked with the renowned parrot Alex. Birdology gave me a fascinating glimpse into what we can know about the hearts and minds of a species with surprising amounts of individuality, social awareness, and intelligence.