Jaylia3

Reflections

Claire DeWitt and the Bohemian Highway

Claire DeWitt and the Bohemian Highway - Sara Gran

The first Claire DeWitt book took place in post-Katrina New Orleans, but here she’s back home in the San Francisco area and the case is personal, her musician ex-boyfriend Paul has been murdered. Paul’s rich sister thinks his wife is guilty and wants to hire Claire to prove it, but Claire won’t take money for this investigation. Truth is an almost holy compulsion for her and she wants to go where the clues lead her.

Claire’s methods are the same as before. She follows every clue, no matter how inconsequential or obscure, to its endpoint. Her deliberations are guided by dreams, Eastern philosophies, the precepts of French detective Jacques Silette, and large quantities of cocaine, mind altering prescription drugs and alcohol.

Claire’s current case has connections with one from her teenage years in New York when she and her friend Tracy searched for a missing girl, and those older events are interspersed with her present day investigations. Then and now Claire’s methods are definitely not standard procedure, and she’s not above lying or stealing drugs from friends. It’s a dark, rich narrative, with an unsettling but compelling voice and layers of stories within stories that I find hard to turn away from.