Jaylia3

Reflections

Tempestuous (Twisted Lit)

Tempestuous: A Modern-Day Spin on Shakespeare's The Tempest - Kim Askew, Amy Helmes This book takes its inspiration from Shakespeare's The Tempest, but instead of a storm trapping the characters on an island, a blizzard traps teenager workers and shoppers overnight in a mall leading to all kinds of craziness. One of the trapped teens, Miranda Prospero, has always had a knack for bringing people together and manipulating things (for good, mostly) behind the scenes so a mall lock-down gives her lots of opportunities for fun. Until recently Miranda was a prep school princess, but following a fall from grace after one of her schemes went bad she's had to take a humiliating job at a hot dog stand in the food court. The silver lining in her new world is Ariel, her spritely coworker and a great friend. It's Ariel's birthday and Miranda has all kinds of ideas for how to make the night special, but then she ends up handcuffed to an infuriating guy named Caleb, a possibly dangerous burglar is on the loose, some mall workers are missing and unaccounted for, and the toniest part of the mall has been taken over by a crew from Miranda's prep school that includes her ex-boyfriend and the ex-best friend who's now dating him. Snappy dialog, clever plotting, and a main character with a winning mix of heart, moxie, and vulnerability make make this a fast and entertaining read.