Jaylia3

Reflections

Rage Against the Dying

Rage Against the Dying: A Thriller - Becky Masterman

How deeply satisfying to read a mystery thriller with a women in my age demographic as the main character. Gray haired, fifty-nine year old Brigid Quinn is a retired FBI agent, living near Tucson with her new husband Carlo, a widower who was a priest before he married the first time. She’s settled near the site of case she never managed to close, a serial sexual predator, so though Brigid is no longer a twenty, thirty or even forty-something this is no cozy with a knitting needle as the weapon.

Brigid is trying to leave her old life behind, and hasn’t told her professor husband everything about her past, but it’s almost as if she’s camping out in her new home because she hasn’t replaced all the froufrou household items chosen by Carlo’s former wife. She’s sure Carlos would leave her if he knew who she really is, but after a man confesses to the crime Brigid never solved she’s drawn back into the case, putting both of their lives in danger, and it becomes harder and harder for her to shield Carlos from the truth.

The arid but beautiful landscape of the desert southwest is always a plus for me, and here the rocky, prickly cactus terrain is well evoked and suits the mood of the story. With her flippant, sardonic outlook and sometimes grim humor, Brigid is great company as the first person narrator. Her determination to bring a scumbag to justice while protecting her new pack (Carlos and their two pugs) adds complications and emotional depth to a gripping, fast moving plot that had me reading into the wee hours of the morning.