Jaylia3

Reflections

Shunned (Amish Bloodsuckers Trilogy, #2)

Shunned (Amish Bloodsuckers Trilogy, #2) - Barbara Ellen Brink

This second installation in the Amish Bloodsucker Trilogy is just as appealing as the first. Teenage Jael is the "Chosen One", born to slay the vampires that have infiltrated an Amish community in Minnesota that was the home of her parents, but since Jael and her parents have been on the run while Jael grew up and honed her skills, Jael has never been there. With her parents now dead, Jael must leave behind her friends in Sunburn, Nevada to live with the Amish grandparents she hadn’t known existed and get on with her destiny.

The transition to Amish living isn’t easy, but fortunately her grandparents are thrilled to have her there and she’s allowed to attend the public high school for now, where she meets a boy she starts to fall for in spite of herself. Between farm chores, school, and hunting vampires Jael is busy from before sunrise to long after sundown. Named for a heroine from the Old Testament, Jael takes her vampire slaying mission seriously, but she has a humorous edge to her outlook and an occasionally flippant teenage attitude that add to the fun of reading these books and keep you rooting for her.

Barbara Ellen Brink does a good job conveying the sights and smells of simple country living and the pushes and pulls of Jael’s sometimes complicated priorities. There are Christian elements to the story, but they are multi-denominational and not heavy handed.

This is available as a paperback and an ebook, which can be purchased on Smashwords in all ebook formats.