Jaylia3

Reflections

Something Strange and Deadly

Something Strange and Deadly - The undead are rising during Philadelphia’s 1876 Centennial Exposition and the only thing standing between the celebration and mass disaster is a ragtag group of misfits and Eleanor Fitt, a high society teenager whose family has fallen on hard times. Eleanor nicely balances proper manners of the Victorian era with enough wit and will to make things happen. When Eleanor’s brother goes missing she scours his letters for clues, so that following the plot closely requires remembering names and references she decided might have significance without having any context for them. On the plus side, the gas-lit setting and era enhance the story, an unlikely romance keeps things interesting, and the quirks and unfolding back-stories of the characters make me want to read the sequel.