Jaylia3

Reflections

Future Perfect: The Case for Progress in a Networked Age

Future Perfect: The Case For Progress In A Networked Age - Steven Johnson

In Future Perfect author Steven Johnson describes in detail an emerging political movement or philosophical worldview he names peer progressive. According to Johnson, peer progressives are in favor of decentralized, distributed networks with no single command center—similar to the internet but not necessarily technology based, which makes sense. Peer networks have surely been around as long as there have been humans. As a political philosophy peer progressivism straddles the line between Republicans and Democrats, sharing some ideas with each, though often the reasoning behind those common beliefs is different.

Future Perfect is similar in theme to many of Johnson’s other books, but unlike them it has a sort of one note song feel. Its only topic is peer progressives. Johnson’s enthusiasm is infectious, he has interesting things to say about what a world enhanced by peer progressive networks might look like, and his ideas seem worth discussing and considering, but the book’s 200+ pages felt long to me.

I read an advanced review copy of this book.