Jaylia3

Reflections

A Brief History of Montmaray

A Brief History of Montmaray (The Montmaray Journals) - Michelle Cooper

Much of the world is captivated by the Spanish Civil War, which is dividing Europe, and King Edward VIII’s’s abdication, which allowed him to marry his divorced lover, but it’s been a long time since anyone paid much attention to the little island nation of Montmaray, isolated in the Bay of Biscay between France and Spain. Their King is mad, the castle is crumbling, and most of the citizens are gone, but Sophia FitzOsborne lives there with Veronica, her brainy, self-assured cousin and closest friend, and Henry, her tomboy younger sister. The girls are all princess, the last descendants of their royal line, and Sophia’s brother Toby is heir to the Montmaray throne, currently studying (sort of) in England. Sophia is chronicling observations about her life and dreams for the future when that future is irrevocably changed by an invasion of Nazis who demand access to their ancient library.

Before the invasion Sophia fills her journal with droll descriptions of their hard scrabble life in the formerly important island kingdom and the few but eccentric citizens who still inhabit Montmaray. She longs to go to London for a society debut with parties and balls, but she can’t stand the thought of going without Veronica, and Veronica is busy writing a book of Montmaray’s history and refuses to leave. A Brief History of Montmaray is fun, humorous and totally captivating, and once the Nazi’s land on the island the suspense begins building until in the final chapters it’s close to harrowing. This is the first of at least three books so fortunately the adventure continues.