Jaylia3

Reflections

Soulless: The Manga, Volume 1

Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 1 - Gail Carriger, Rem

Being a huge fan of the steampunk paranormal Parasol Protectorate series I was eager to see what this was like. Naively, I expected the pictures to be in color (I’ve since learned manga isn’t usually), and I was hoping to see Ivy’s hats and Lord Akeldama’s tastefully flamboyant wardrobe in their full multi-hued glory, so I was disappointed to discover that all but the first few pages are in black and white.

Still, I enjoyed the book’s adaptation of the story enough to read it straight through, but it necessarily rushes along at a brisk pace. Readers who haven’t read the original books may have a hard time following the action and will certainly be missing a lot of the fun detail. Peripheral but important characters like Ivy, Biffy, Floote, and Alexia’s family only make brief appearances, so it’s sort of like seeing a movie condensation of a loved book. Good for what it is, but no replacement for the real thing.