Jaylia3

Reflections

King's Mistresses

The Kings' Mistresses: The Liberated Lives of Marie Mancini, Princess Colonna, and Her Sister Hortense, Duchess Mazarin - Elizabeth C. Goldsmith The Kings’ Mistresses is a very entertaining account of sisters Marie and Hortense Mancini who caroused their way across Louis XIV’s Europe at a time when that was just not done. Their uncle, a powerful cardinal in France, tried to insure his legacy by arranging prestigious matches for his nieces before he died, but he made his decisions too hastily because both men soon became controlling and abusive. Defying the standards of the time Marie and Hortense escaped, fleeing their husbands and setting off on adventures separately and together, causing them to become media sensations. This was the very early years of journalism and coverage of their exploits gave a boost to the circulation of the nascent gazettes of the time. Hortense became the first non-royal noble women in France to publish a memoir under her own name, and Marie did the same one year later. Their pleasure seeking lives and their arguments about their right to autonomy without their husbands became examples to early free-thinkers in England and France. I received this book copy for possible review from the publisher. I was under no obligation and the opinions are mine.