Jaylia3

Reflections

Up: A Mother and Daughter's Peakbagging Adventure

Up: A Mother and Daughter's Peakbagging Adventure - Patricia Ellis Herr What do you do with a five year old daughter who is bouncing off the walls with energy? A daughter who you, of course, want to grow up happy, strong and confident? Careful, but willing to attempt large goals undeterred by the expectations of others? Author Patricia Ellis Herr’s daughter Alex was thrilled with the idea of trying to climb all 48 of the New Hampshire mountains that are over 4,000 feet. Mother and daughter achieved that goal in half the time they expected to and it became an ideal learning experience involving planning, preparing, pacing, learning from their own mistakes, discovering the joy hard work can bring, being willing to turn back when they ran into trouble, and dealing with people who thought a young girl shouldn’t be attempting anything challenging. In this chronicle of their achievement, Herr’s descriptions of trying to balance her natural but sometimes conflicting desires to protect but also encourage her child will resonate with any parent. The hikes gave mother and daughter the opportunity to enjoy beautiful vistas, bond over silly songs, and have serious talks about the ways of the world.