Jaylia3

Reflections

Restoration

Restoration - A picturesquely described Italian countryside is the setting for this WWII novel of love and betrayal, as the Allied armies are gaining ground, and the farmhouse where most of the action takes place is gradually but inexorably becoming the front line of battle. There are two main characters, both women, Kristin an artist and restorer of damaged but valuable paintings, who is Icelandic like the author, and Alice, an English expatriate who married an Italian man against her family’s wishes and then became restless and involved in an affair, and who is loosely based on real life Iris Origo. The poignant intertwining of their lives is easy to keep track of because Kristin’s story is told in the third person while Alice tells her story in the first person, addressed to her missing husband.