Jaylia3

Reflections

The Raptor Almanac: A Comprehensive Guide to Eagles, Hawks, Falcons, and Vultures - Scott Weidensaul I was looking for a book to tell me about the dozens and dozens of turkey vultures that swoop and soar through my neighborhood skies and roost all together in a congenial-seeming large group every night. This book is much more than that; it's an amazingly thorough and comprehensive account of all raptors, which the author writes is the blanket term for hawks, falcons, eagles, vultures and owls. Covering all raptors in subjects like evolution, behavior, social structure, migration, and conservation turned out to be more interesting to me than reading in detail about just one species. Included in this large book are the author's personal story of his interest in the birds, a scientific account of both old and new world raptors--complete with many interesting maps, simple charts, and helpful lists--a species identification guide with both photos and information, the history of the sport of falconry, a summary of how raptors have been used in human myths, and a guide for the best places to view large groups migrating hawks.