Jaylia3

Reflections

Mercury Falls

Mercury Falls - Robert Kroese This cleverly funny apocalyptic romp is filled with angels, fallen and faithful, and humans, determined and clueless. The angels, both heaven’s and Satan’s, are great at seeing the big picture but sometimes careless about details, and they are so used to following orders and doing as they are told, even if they don’t understand why, that they have very little ability to stand back and ask themselves if their actions are accomplishing something good or bad. The exception is Mercury, a whimsical free agent of an angel, who teams up with Christine, a human who has grown very tired of her newspaper beat, chasing down and covering what end up being mistaken end-of-the-world predictions, only to find herself in the middle of the preparations for the biblical apocalypse. Mercury Falling’s absurdist wit—the four horsemen of the apocalypse are actually the four briefcases of the apocalypse--may appeal to fans of Jasper Fforde or Douglas Adams.