Jaylia3

Reflections

Jane Austen Made Me Do It: Original Stories Inspired by Literature's Most Astute Observer of the Human Heart - Laurel Ann Nattress, Lauren Willig, Adriana Trigiani, Jo Beverley, Alexandra Potter, Laurie Viera Rigler, Frank Delaney, Diane Meier, Syrie James, Stephanie Barron, Amanda Grange, Pamela Aidan, Elizabeth Aston, Carrie Bebris, Diana Birchall, Monica Fairview, Janet Mullan What a fun collection of stories, all inspired in one way or another by Jane Austen! Some feature Jane Austen herself, like one that has her confronted by angry versions of some of her own characters who are extremely unhappy with the personalities she gave them, and another that has her haunting present day Northanger Abbey. One of the more intriguing interpretations of Jane has her compare herself not to the lively Elizabeth Bennet, but to the overly proud Mr. Darcy. Other stories reveal details about the early days of Emma’s marriage to Mr. Knightley as he tries to adjust to living under the same roof as her demanding father, the pre-Persuasion backstory of Anne Elliot and Captain Wentworth, the inadvertent role Maria Lucas’s secret letters to Lydia played in bringing Elizabeth and Darcy together, and the believable and touching reasons behind Mr. Bennet’s initial attraction to his animated but silly wife. A wonderfully ridiculous story has the impervious Lady Catherine de Bourgh as a judge presiding over a trial of Austen sequel writers and interpreters, in trouble because their story versions have caused pain and distress to Austen’s characters. Because of Collin Firth’s famous scene at Pemberley’s lake in BBC’s Pride and Prejudice and all the new vampire versions of that novel, poor Mr. Darcy finds himself constantly wet-shirted and fanged. Like any anthology I enjoyed some tales more than others—several stories were so good that as soon as I finished them I bought full length books by the authors.