Jaylia3

Reflections

Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1)

Switched - Amanda Hocking I was hooked after reading a free sample of this paranormal romance with a twist by Smashwords author Amanda Hocking. Instead of being about vampires or werewolves heroine Wendy, unbeknownst to herself, is a troll or Trylle who was left at birth as a changeling in a human family. Hers was not an easy path. Her human foster mother suspected the truth and tried to kill her, and though loved by her brother and aunt, Wendy always felt awkward and never quite fit into human life--her hair was always too wild, her feet were never comfortable unless she was barefoot and in spite of her best efforts her personality was too often unruly. Still, when she is wrenched away from her human family, told she is a troll princess with powers she doesn't yet understand and commanded to take up a new, confusing and protocol-filled royal role Wendy ultimately rebels, an act I wish had happened a little sooner. For me the book dragged somewhat in the middle, but it explores interesting ideas about what it would be like to be a changeling, someone living as a stranger in both the human and Trylle worlds, plus there are several great characters including Rhys, the human Wendy was swapped with at birth, and Finn, the hot "tracker" Trylle who finds and protects her but is considered an unworthy match for someone of her royal blood. The highly exciting last few chapters left me eager to know what happens next--I've already bought the second book in the series.