Jaylia3

Reflections

India Calling: An Intimate Portrait of a Nation's Remaking

India Calling: An Intimate Portrait of a Nation's Remaking - Anand Giridharadas Tradition meets ambition and desire--India threw off its colonial rulers in the last century, but according to author Giridharadas that was just its first step in a struggle for freedom. This is a beautifully written, absorbing account of modern Indian society in an era of rapid change told through the personal lives of a diverse and well-drawn group of individuals in the midst of the transition. International call centers continue to multiply, but arranged marriages are still common and traditions like the caste system and old family loyalties are both intact and upended. The author is the son of Indian immigrants, which gives him the advantage of both an insider’s and an outsider’s point of view.