Jaylia3

Reflections

How Language Works: How Babies Babble, Words Change Meaning, and Languages Live or Die

How Language Works: How Babies Babble, Words Change Meaning, and Languages Liveor Die - David Crystal This is an interesting and easy to read book. The chapters do not need to be read consecutively, each is a self-contained essay on some aspect of language.I had hardly started the book, when it started me on an observational quest for an "Eyebrow Flash". I got one that same night from the ticket seller when I went to see a movie. Here is what the book says on page 7:"Some visual effects are widely used in the cultures of the world. An example is the EYEBROW FLASH, used unconsciously when people approach each other and wish to show that they are ready to make social contact. Each person performs a single upward movement of the eyebrows, keeping them raised for about a sixth of a second. The effect is so automatic that we are hardly ever conscious of it. But we become uneasy if we do not receive an eyebrow flash when we expect one (from someone we know); and to receive an eyebrow flash from someone we do not know can be uncomfortable, embarrassing, or even threatening."