Jaylia3

Reflections

IN TEARING HASTE: LETTERS BETWEEN DEBORAH DEVONSHIRE AND PATRICK LEIGH FERMOR

In Tearing Haste: Letters Between Deborah Devonshire and Patrick Leigh Fermor - Deborah Devonshire, Patrick Leigh Fermor, Charlotte Mosley This book collects over 50 years (1954-2007)worth of letters between the dowager Duchess of Devonshire, born Deborah Mitford, the youngest of the Mitford sisters, and Patrick Leigh Fermor, an autodidact wild child who in his younger days hiked around Europe with not much more than The Oxford Book of English Verse and some drawing paper, then met and set up house with a Romanian princess 12 years older than him, and later became a WWII war hero by kidnapping a German general in Crete--who he forged a bond with when they recited one of Horace's Latin odes together. The two correspondents are still alive, Deborah Devonshire was born in 1920 and Patrick Leigh Fermor in 1915, and as of the book's publication they were continuing their exchange letters. Because of the long span of time, this book races through the years. Leigh Fermor's letters can be a little overwritten while Deborah--the determinedly nonpolitical, nonliterary Mitford--has a far simpler style, but they share an ironic sense of humor and a fascinating bunch of friends and family (Deborah was related by marriage to John Kennedy and attended both his inauguration and his funeral.)