Jaylia3

Reflections

Puritan pleasures

Dear Abigail: The Intimate Lives and Revolutionary Ideas of Abigail Adams and Her Two Remarkable Sisters - Diane Jacobs

Reading historical biographies has become my favorite way to get the sense of an era, and for that the lengthy but aptly titled Dear Abigail: The Intimate Lives and Revolutionary Ideas of Abigail Adams and Her Two Remarkable Sisters Tells Part of the Story of the American Revolution has a lot to offer. Abigail Adams, the wife of the second US president John Adams, was the middle of three very close sisters who corresponded whenever they were apart, leaving plenty of source material about their lives.

Through those three thoughtful lively women Puritan beliefs and culture come to life in this book, including how attitudes about family, religion, and the role of women begin to change during the time surrounding the American Revolution. Abigail Adams traveled to New York, Philadelphia, London, Paris, and the brand new, just being built on a swamp Washington, DC, so the history, personalities, political climate, society, and ambiance of those eighteenth century cities become part of her story. The small town Massachusetts setting of her sisters' lives and the courtship trials of their daughters provide pleasures similar a Jane Austen novel. Informative and entertaining.

Source: http://jaylia3.booklikes.com/post/792371/puritan-pleasures