Jaylia3

Reflections

Outer space for grown-ups

Shards of Honour - Lois McMaster Bujold

Count me as someone unashamed to read YA, but one of the things I love best about this multi-planet, clashing cultures, space opera is that its main character is a mature, take-it-as-it-comes thirty-something not an excitable, inexperienced sixteen.  Cordelia Naismith is the captain of a survey ship from the peaceable, democratic Beta Colony, where the climate is harsh and desert-like. Her expedition is attacked by  a military group from the warlike Barrayar planet which is lush with vegetation and ruled by an emperor. Cordelia makes sure most of  her crew escapes the attack, but she is left behind and taken prisoner. Sort of.

Lord Aral Vorkosigan is supposed to be the leader  of the Barrayaran military mission, but there’s been a mutiny so he and Cordelia are partners as much as they are adversaries, hiking towards a supply base with a badly injured crew member Cordelia refuses to leave behind. Cordelia’s stand on this is a point of honor that surprises and ultimately impresses Vorkosigan, and though the worlds they come from couldn’t be more different in culture, government, or climate, Cordelia comes to appreciate some of his foreign ways of doing things as well. Being older doesn’t mean these two don’t have a lot to learn from each other, but they both have a strong sense of duty which complicates their growing mutual attraction since they come from warring planets.

With its balance of action, character development, and sci-fi coolness Shards of Honor engaged me completely. This is my second audiobook (thank you local library), and while I think it would be easier to keep track of minor characters with an old fashioned book in my hand, I remain thrilled that I can “read” while commuting.

Source: http://jaylia3.booklikes.com/post/913118/outer-space-for-grown-ups