Jaylia3

Reflections

Will Apple's new iOS 8 autocorrect steal your soul?

Apple's new iOS 8's autocorrect goes far beyond suggesting alternatives for your spelling quirks. Here's what Apple’s website says about it:

As you type, you’ll see choices of words or phrases you’d probably type next, based on your past conversations and writing style. iOS 8 takes into account the casual style you might use in Messages and the more formal language you probably use in Mail. It also adjusts based on the person you’re communicating with, because your choice of words is likely more laid back with your spouse than with your boss.”

If like me you actually find this more horrifying than wonderful we're both in good company. Philosopher Evan Selinger tells David Berreby of BigThink:

The more we don’t autonomously struggle with language, grapple to find the right word, muscle through to bend language poetically, the less we’re able to really treat conversation as an intentional act. As something that really expresses what we’re trying to say.”

He makes the point that “Predicting you is predicting a predictable you. Which is itself subtracting from your autonomy. And it’s encouraging you to be predictable, to be a facsimile of yourself.”

There's more discussion about the implications at The New York Times including some thoughts about the history of autocorrect and its possible affects on new language development from Gideon Lewis-Kraus at Wired.

Source: http://jaylia3.booklikes.com/post/975732/will-apple-s-new-ios-8-autocorrect-steal-your-soul